Excerpts from a phone conversation
– Saw the mail from XYZ corp. How much volume are they talking?
– They are ready to lift 50 tonnes at our price, subject ofcourse to approval of the factory. They would like to visit us.
– Hmmm…no issues…but we do not want to be taken for a ride!
– I’m not sure I follow, how can we be taken for a ride in this?
– It has happened in the past, where the customers have visited us, but never bought anything after they left.
– That means they did not approve our facilities.
– Remember that you have to have eye in your head while talking to me (What is the meaning of this expression? I have never heard it before)
– Are you clear?
– Should I tell the customer that they cannot visit us and they have to buy without seeing the factory?
– Listen…you are not allowing me to talk.
– There is no harm in having them visit the factory. But we should make sure they buy good volumes.
– As I said earlier, this customer buys in excess of 2000 tonnes from the industry. The list of items and quantity they buy is already with us which I have shared with you. If you want, I can ask them to send an email confirming all the items they are interested to procure from us.
– no..no..no….dont do that….we may not be in a position to do all the items they buy.
– then what should I tell them?
– See I have no issues in talking to them…but 50 tonnes is nothing. MNO corp wanted 3000 tonnes, we said we can give only 500 tonnes.
– Ok, then let me tell them they can’t see the factory and 50 tonnes is too less.
– no. You are hurrying again. I have no issue with 50 tonnes….but the price they give is less….see we have negotiated so well with MNO corp and got a good rate.
– I have quoted Rs 5 per kilo more than that, sir.
– yeah yeah….tell them 50 tonnes is too less.
– But I understand that we will not be able to produce the full qty of what we agreed with MNO, this 50 tonnes we have offered only because XYZ is ready to pay better price….
– is it? We should be talking to big guys.
– XYZ is the largest wholesaler with national distribution in USA. You can check about them in the market. You will know.
– Yeah I know…I know them very well….They are based in London. I know.
– No sir, they are in New York.
– Yeah yeah you are right.
– I dont understand why they want to visit the factory. All these buyers are silly. They waste our time and energy.
– Let me tell them then we are not interested.
– You are hurrying…..I have no issue….am I making myself clear (Note : all his favourite phrases! He has uttered them in one go!)
– Do one thing! Talk to VP and then let me know what he says. I am about to board the flight. I am headed to Bangalore for a lunch with Jt.Secretary.
I then dialed the factory to talk to VP. The operator told me that he has gone to attend a “mundan” ceremony of one of the staffs’ son. It took sometime to collect my thoughts. What should be the line of action now?
I am not hurrying. I have no issue. It is clear that I am going to continue reading the e-Book that I was reading earlier (before I received the call from the CEO!).