Day 31 – The events on XYZ imbroglio

Let us return to XYZ Corp. Their proposal still remained indisposed – to visit the factory first and then to decide if the business can be done with us or not. My constant efforts to make either VP or CEO to take a decision on the matter were not fruitful.

XYZ’s buying representative based in a small town in Gujarat in the meanwhile started showing signs of impatience. I realized during one of my conversations that he finds our price extremely attractive and is keen to finalize. Being a buyer’s representative (who is paid only a nominal service charge by XYZ), he does not get fixed pay or perks. So he made an overt (unreasonable! in my opinion) demand that he would like to be reimbursed for air-fare to and fro the nearest city close to our factory. The customers do want to be unduly pampered even before they start the business relationship. Would I do that?

His demand helped me to a large extent to cover up the indecisiveness within my company on their proposed visit. I used euphemisms such as company policy, CRM procedures etc and said this needs to be discussed with the Divisional Director. Conveniently, I made the director disappear to an unknown European destination during the course of my phone call with XYZ rep and told him that I would have to discuss the request with him on his return. Actually the Director was very much in the office, happily sipping the bitter tea in his cosy chamber.

At last, the VP budged suddenly, mailing me that we can ask XYZ to come to the factory. What could have prompted the VP to be positive on XYZ now? I got the answer in the afternoon while being a witness to a phone conversation. This happened during a tête-à-tête with CEO and Director. Both of them were on speaker phone talking to VP. It appears that MNO are very upset that only 30% of the contracted volume was produced by us. They now threaten to cancel the contract (which by the way has a fine-printed clause that at least 50% of the volume should be produced, if not MNO has the right not to lift any quantities….wow…big companies!).

By evening, XYZ rep called. His boss in USA had instructed him to cover as much material as possible quickly, due to the big shortage of the product in the market. So the rep wanted to make a dash to the factory on his expense now.

It was almost as if I made no effort in all these. Things change constantly. Some times to our advantage and sometimes otherwise. But situations change for sure.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s